Enrollment is now open for two opportunities for MIT staff to learn with a cohort of their peers this fall.
Essentials of Managing and MIT’s Administrative Assistant Program (MITAAP) are both multi-session programs that provide critical role-related skills and information and emphasize the value of networking with and learning from peers.
MITAAP offers administrative assistants the opportunity to enhance their confidence and increase their ability to influence their work, with a goal of producing high levels of excellence, professionalism, and job satisfaction. The fall program will be held on the following dates:
All Fridays, 9–11 am, NE49-5145A
- September 30: Your Role and Value to MIT
- October 7: Exceptional Service
- October 14: The Leader Within
- October 21: Working in a Diverse Environment
- October 28: Communicate for Results
- November 4: Communication with Increased Influence
- November 18: Managing Your Time
- December 2: Getting Comfortable with Change
To be considered for MITAAP, individuals must:
- Have been in the role of administrative assistant for at least one year
- Demonstrate a readiness to learn and develop professionally
- Have explicit support from their supervisor to participate fully in the program
- Commit to attending all program workshops
- Commit to bringing back new learning to work area and sharing with others
Essentials of Managing provides new MIT managers and experienced managers seeking a refresher on best practices with a solid foundation for managing effectively at MIT. The program includes in-person workshops, a self-assessment, web-based training, and ongoing conversations between the participants and their managers.
Participants will learn and grow along with managers from across MIT. Upon completion of the program, participants will be able to:
- Explain the role and responsibilities of a manager at MIT
- Identify the strengths they bring to the role of manager
- Appreciate the significance of the manager-employee relationship
- Recognize and apply relevant laws and MIT policies
- Identify good human resources management practices and strategies to apply them
- Find applicable MIT resources and recognize when to use them
The fall program will be held once a week (Thursdays, 9 am–3 pm) from October 12 to November 17. Participants must manage at least one MIT employee and are enrolled on a first-come, first-served basis upon completion of the application and confirmation of support for enrollment by their manager.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.