At the Environment, Health and Safety Office (EHS), we are committed to providing the critical services, programs, and guidance necessary to help the campus community make MIT a safe, healthy, and environmentally responsible place to live, work, and study. We also support many of MIT’s global initiatives by providing EHS guidance for those traveling abroad and by working with our global partners to address EHS matters.
We are helping to build a shared culture of safety.
Our services range from occupational safety and environmental management to chemical, radiation, and biological controls. We support MIT’s commitment to excellence in these areas by working collaboratively to reduce the environmental impact of MIT’s work, operations, and facilities and support the health and safety of our community and our neighbors. We participate in the development and implementation of policies and best practices across campus to support building a shared culture of safety that exceeds our regulatory requirements.
At EHS, we are engaged with the campus community in developing and sustaining an Environment, Health and Safety Management System to ensure that MIT not only maintains legal compliance with all applicable regulations, but also fosters environmental stewardship and safety and health performance that exceed compliance.
Resources for staying safe
- Learn more about the diverse services and support provided by the EHS Office.
- Community outreach - by way of a video contest.
- Find out your EHS responsibilities as a principal investigator.
- Learn about the EHS Office Hazardous Materials Shipping Service.
Resources for practicing sustainability
- Find out how you can contribute to MIT’s commitment to sustainability in campus operations.
- Learn about the sustainability practices underway in collaboration with the MIT Energy Initiative.
General inquiries and service requests
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Dial 100 from an MIT phone or (617) 253-1212