In the MIT Office of Insurance, we purchase and manage the insurance programs that protect the Institute, its community members, and subsidiaries against financial loss related to property and casualty-related incidents. We also work to raise awareness across MIT about proper risk identification assessment, loss mitigation, risk transfer, training, controls, and planning resources.
Protecting the Institute's people and property is of paramount importance to the MIT Office of Insurance.
Our goal in purchasing insurance coverage is to protect MIT against catastrophic loss. Our decision-making process is guided by a number of considerations:
- statutory requirements
- MIT’s financial ability to retain various levels of risk
- MIT and industry loss experience
- evaluation of market conditions
- benchmarking among peer institutions
- advice from industry experts
Resource for DLCs and the wider MIT community
Our services for the Institute’s departments, labs, and centers (DLC’s) include communicating the scope of MIT’s coverages, appropriate claims reporting and handling, and advice on risk mitigation activities.
- Insurance Office website.
- Review MIT’s Travel Risk Policy to confirm specific country travel limitations and required approval actions.
- Review the ICC Travel Abroad section for useful information to help you plan and execute a safe, successful trip. You'll find pre-travel, during travel, and post-travel resources.