In the Technology Licensing Office (TLO), we work with researchers and students across MIT (including Lincoln Laboratory) to bring the benefits of breakthrough discoveries to the widest possible audiences. Through our technology licensing activities, we foster business investment and commercial development of those discoveries and inventions. The resulting products play an important role in translating MIT-generated technologies into benefits for society at large.
We work to bring the benefits of MIT discoveries to the widest possible audience.
Services for researchers
If you or someone in your department, lab, or center (DLC) want to participate in MIT’s vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem, we encourage you to contact us about technologies or inventions developed in your DLC. We can help to:
- Evaluate the commercial potential of an invention.
- Secure protection for an invention, as needed.
- Work with industry partners to ensure appropriate development and commercialization of an invention.
- Start a new company related to a discovery.
Contact us or visit our office in Room NE18-501 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to make an appointment to discuss any of these issues.
TLO works with the entire Institute community
The resources of our office are equally available to all members of the MIT community. The policies related to ownership of an invention by a student are the same as for a researcher, for example. In determining whether to contact TLO, consider these key threshold questions:
- Did someone create the invention in his or her capacity as an MIT employee?
- Were MIT resources used to create the invention?
- Was the invention created under a contract with or grant to MIT?
If you believe you or someone in your DLC may have an invention—whether you think an individual owns it or MIT owns it, we encourage you to contact us or visit our office in Room NE18-501 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday to make an appointment to discuss next steps.
Find out more about Technology Licensing Office services and policies:
- Inventions and Proprietary Information Agreement
- MIT Campus Technology Disclosure Form
- Lincoln Laboratory Technology Disclosure Form
- Disclosure Form for Biological and Tangible Materials
- MIT Campus Software Code Disclosure Form
- Lincoln Laboratory Software Code Disclosure Form