MIT established the Research Administration Coordinating Council (RACC) in 2009 as an umbrella organization to bring together key staff and stakeholders from central offices and academic areas around MIT to discuss and work collaboratively on key issues in research and sponsored programs administration.
- Provide oversight and direction on research and sponsored programs administration issues and initiatives. Advise the Vice President for Research and Vice President for Finance on policies and practices regarding research and sponsored programs administration and compliance and on how to address compliance issues.
- Address key research and sponsored programs administration and compliance issues and convene working groups as needed to address issues or to support initiatives.
- Work with the DLCs and central offices in maintaining an environment that supports compliance and strong internal controls.
- Provide leadership and oversight in making sure that research administrators are properly informed and trained in research administration and compliance issues.
- Monitor progress on the RACC Road Map and provide oversight, direction, guidance and support to RACC sponsored research and sponsored programs administration initiatives.
- Provide regular monitoring of research and sponsored programs administration reports and metrics. Review status of key compliance issues including but not limited to salary certification, cost transfers, cost sharing, service facility management, allocation issues, record keeping and retention, etc.
Ron Hasseltine, Office of the Provost (co-chair)
Pamela Schickling Buckley, Office of the Vice President for Finance (co-chair)
Ken Goldsmith, School of Architecture and Planning
Eileen Ng, School of Engineering
Marc Jones, School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
Heather Williams, School of Science
Christina Williams, Sloan School
Doreen Morris, Office of the Provost
Colleen Leslie, Office of the Provost
Michelle Christy, Office of Sponsored Programs
Danielle Khoury, Office of the Vice President for Finance
Gerry O'Toole, Office of the Vice President for Finance
Deborah Fisher, Risk Management & Compliance Services
Michael Moody, Audit Division
Eamon Kearns, Information Systems & Technology
Advisory Committee on Research Administration (AC-RA)
To serve as advisory body to RACC and to the Vice President for Research and the Vice President for Finance on all matters related to research and sponsored program administration. The tri-annual meetings will serve as a forum to discuss research and sponsored programs administration issues and activities at MIT.
Members of the Research Administration Coordinating Council (ex-officio): 13
Dean’s Office and Administrative Office Representatives: 13
Emily Diamond, Office of the Vice President for Finance-Sponsored Accounting
Chris Durham, Office of the Vice President for Finance-HR/Payroll
Christina Lo, Office of the Vice President for Finance-Strategic Sourcing and Contracts
Kathleen McGrath, Office of the Vice President for Finance-Travel and Procurement Operations
Shawna Vogel, Office of Sponsored Programs-Grant & Contract Administration
John Donahue, Office of Sponsored Programs-Cost Analysis
Carol Wood, Office of Sponsored Programs-Systems, Information & Services
Mike Bowers, Audit Division
Kate Miller, Risk Management & Compliance Services
Karen Shirer, Office of the Provost-Research Development
Sarah Brady, School of Science-Dean’s Office
Brian Tavares, School of Engineering-Dean’s Office
Olu Brown, Information Systems & Technology-Platform Engagement
DLC Representatives: 12
Karen Yegian, Department of Urban Studies and Planning, SAP
David Sears, JPAL, SHASS
Benn Egan, Sloan School
Tom Hrycaj, Plasma Science and Fusion Center, VPR
Amanda Tat, Center for Environmental Health Sciences, VPR
Melissa Sheehan, Research Laboratory of Electronics, VPR
Joshua Freedman, ISN, VPR
Dianne Bickford, Department of Biological Engineering, SOE
Sherene Aram, Microsystems Technology Laboratories, SOE
Tonie Stephenson, Department of Mechanical Engineering, SOE
Jack Defandorf, MIT Kavli Institute, SOS
Alison Salie, Department of Biology, SOS
Ron Hasseltine, RACC and AC-RA Co-Chair
Assistant Provost for Research Administration, VPR
Pamela Schickling Buckley, RACC and AC-RA Co-Chair
Senior Director for Practice & Process Improvements, VPF